Monday, June 23, 2014

my first car.

The idea of trekking off across the country on a roadtrip makes me reminisce about becoming a driving and getting my first car.
Ah...my first car.  A white 1981 Chevrolet Citation. 
It was affectionately known as the "Screamin' White Demon" by all of my passengers.  Rightfully so.  She was a "surprise" from my dad.  My parents have been divorced since I was two, but this definitely should have been one of those choices for me that required discussion.

(For a visual, imagine this puppy in white!)

The maroon interior and obnoxiously large steering wheel gave it even more character.  (Like that was needed.)  Classically, the ceiling material was hanging between strategically placed thumb tacks.  The stereo was an 8-track player with the car radio placed vertically into dash rather than horizontally. 

I think I could have rocked it if it had this red interior...

I promise, that car took off about as fast as Bowser's go-cart does in Mario Kart.  Acceleration was not her strong suit.  I remember just praying that we could hit 55....soon.  She may have rattled a lot, but by the time that thing hit 70, we were coasting. 

I remember going out to sell ads for the high school yearbook with some fellow classmates when my left blinker stopped working.  Thankfully, I was able to depend on my crazy friend, Spencer, who would hang out of the back driver's side window and point as we approached a turn.  We had some good times in that car.

Thankfully, she only had to last me about a year.  I think my mom pitied me. She bought a new ride and mercifully gave me the keys to her red 1992 Pontiac Grand Am.  I was stylin' & profilin'....

Luckily, I won't be driving either of those for the 2500+ miles that we'll be driving roundtrip.
But I still remember the days...

Any awesome stories about your first car?  Let me know in the comments!



2 comments:

  1. Although it was never formally "mine" I did basically inherit my mom's blue '87 Honda Accord. I called it Quentin and had a bad habit of driving it on fumes and staling it because of the "unreliable" gas gauge.

    ReplyDelete